I have been working in this quilt orf a few months, and written a couple if posts along the way…

Last Sunday, I presented it at Show & Tell at our local guild. I think it was received well.

I decided it enter it at a quilt show (taking place next month); I have sent in the entry form but have not received confirmation whether it has been accepted – I am on pins and needles!

20140411-104217.jpg

This is quite a large quilt…the pattern was Annette Ornelas’ Carolina Dogwoods. I created an alternate setting for it, as I wanted it to have a modern flair.

I used “white grunge” as the background fabric. It had to be cut very carefully, as it is directional!

20140411-105033.jpg

I used batiks for the blooms, and two different shades of green (that are not batiks) for the leaves. Most of the blooms have a little contrasting color for the underside of the petals (in some blooms I used the same fabric as the petals). I added a few beads to the center of each flower, just for a tad more realism.

20140411-110253.jpg
One side is the more “girly” side, with blooms in shades of orange and magenta, white the other side is more masculine, with the blooms being more blue and/or purple. Unifying both sides are the leaves, which have the same two colors.

I quilted it quite simply, because I wanted it to look as if the blooms and leaves are floating on the top of a lake. The blooms are quilted individually, and so are the leaves (phew, the numbers if thread changes!)

20140411-111001.jpg

All in all, I am happy with the way it turned out.

Advertisements